All About ANGELS
myTEAM TRIUMPH - West Michigan Chapter promotes health, teamwork and community and requires the involvement of many people with diverse abilities and disabilities. Athletes that push and pull the team Captain are referred to as "ANGELS".
Volunteering your time and ability helps make racing possible for those less able. We truly appreciate your enthusiasm for wanting to be an Angel with us.
As you are aware though, many of our Captains cannot tolerate very extended hours out on the course. To be mindful of this, we have to ask that you fulfil the following criteria BEFORE you apply to be an Angel:
1.You must have completed at least 1 event of this distance in the past 2 years.
2. Your finish time should have been in the top 50% of the race field. You can use the following as a guideline:
5K - 30' or less
10K - 60' or less
10 mile - 1 hour 50 or less
13.1 mile - 2 hours 15 or less
25K - 2 hours 30 or less
26.2 miles - 4 hours 30 or less
Sprint Tri (750m swim/20k bike/5k run) - 1 hour 30 or less
Olympic Tri (1500m swim/40k bike/10k run) - 3 hours or less
PLEASE NOTE THAT THESE GUIDELINES HAVE BEEN PUT IN PLACE TO ENSURE THAT YOU ARE PROPERLY TRAINED & ABLE TO COMPLETE AN EVENT WITH US COMFORTABLY. ALSO NOTE THAT PUSHING A CAPTAIN IN A CHAIR WILL ONLY ADD TO THE ABOVE TIMES SO WE WANT TO MAKE SURE THAT YOU CAN COMPLETE AN EVENT WITH US AS EFFICIENTLY AS POSSIBLE.
We at myTEAM TRIUMPH - West Michigan Chapter are committed to providing the best experience for all participants. Still interested? Let's review a few things that we do differently:
- As you are aware, there is a significant cost involved with purchasing equipment & participating in races, so we recommend that Angels raise or pledge a minimum of $100 per calendar year, with specific fundraising goals to be set based on each race.
- For all our races, WE REGISTER ONLY OUR CAPTAINS, not our Angels. This allows the race to be all about the Captain as their results will be the ones posted. This also alleviates any confusion from a timing standpoint.
- Our format is to have at least 2-3 ANGELS PER SEGMENT of any race. This guarantees that the Captain finish the race should one of the Angels have any difficulty completing their segment.
- As much as possible, we expect the team of Angels per Captain to STAY TOGETHER. This not about the fastest race time, but about making a team effort to complete the course. If you do pull ahead for a short segment of the race, make sure you allow for the rest of your team to catch up.
- It is imperative that the TEAM FINISH TOGETHER. If you are in the lead, try not to pull ahead at the finish line. The Angel pushing the Captain will take the lead.
- As soon as you cross the finish line, try not to disrupt the flow of other race finishers. CLEAR THE FINISH AREA for pictures or interviews. Do not walk your Captain across the finish line unless approved by myTEAM TRIUMPH - West Michigan Chapter and the Race Director AHEAD OF TIME.